Now that you are on your way to a smoke free life filled with new and exciting things it is time to focus on building new and healthy habits. When you quit smoking you are going to want to improve the quality of your life by repairing damage that smoking has caused over the years and you can do this through healthy eating and exercise.
One of the best books I have read that deals with healthy eating and exercise is Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto. Not only will this book help you understand your body and the role food plays but it will help you develop long-term goals and show you how to achieve them. The book is more than just a “dieting” book it is 300 pages of information that will transform your life if you apply what you read.
When developing new habits we first need to look at what exactly is a habit – A habit is an acquired pattern of behavior that often occurs automatically. So how do we make something a habit? There are several key components to building new and healthy habits.
- Decide on a new habit that you will enjoy.
- Start small.
- Write down and focus on what you want to accomplish in a positive manner (what you want to obtain not what you want to give up).
- Repetition helps engrain new habits into your daily routine. Do for at least 30 days.
- Visualize yourself making the changes and feeling great about what you are doing.
- Get a partner to perform the new habit with.
- Stay positive.