Even though there are different methods to quitting smoking and products to help the basics are still the same. Mentally preparing yourself to quit smoking is vital and there is a widely used 5-day countdown to quit smoking that you should be aware of. First of all you need to set a quit date!
- Five Days Before Quitting – continue to remind yourself of all the reasons you are quitting, write them down if you haven’t already. Let your friends and family know you are quitting and get your support group lined up.
- Four Days Before Quitting – pay special attention to why and when you smoke. Make note of these triggers so you can plan for them. Think of routines and habits that need to be changed and make a list of items to hold in your hand instead of a cigarette.
- Three Days Before Quitting – think about what you will do with the extra money you will be saving by not smoking. Jot down the quit smoking hotline telephone number and put it in a place you will remember.
- Two Days Before Quitting – if you are going to use the nicotine patch or gum you should buy it and familiarize yourself with it.
- One Day Before Quitting – start cleaning your surrounding while at the same time getting rid of things that remind you of smoking.
QUIT DAY – keep yourself busy and avoid alcohol. Watch what you eat as well because some foods may trigger the urge to smoke. Avoid places and people who smoke. Stick it out and reward yourself at the end of the day.