Okay today is the big day… You have not had a cigarette all day and you are on your way to a new healthier you. The most important thing right now is your success. Here are few tips to help you get through the day.
- If you haven’t already, remove any temptation, this means your “just in case” pack of smokes. Throw them away after destroying them by running water over them otherwise they will still be there to fish out of the trash.
- Try to keep busy; exercise, walk, go for a bike ride, go to a movie, etc.
- Don’t go places where smoking is allowed.
- If you miss having something in your hand carry a pencil or water bottle.
- If you miss having something in your mouth try toothpicks, cinnamon sticks, suckers, hard candy, or carrot sticks and celery.
- Drink a lot of water.
- Instead of smoking after meals brush your teeth.
- Stay away from things that remind you of smoking.
- Don’t drink alcohol.
- Don’t eat fast food or foot high in salt and fat.
A good day to quit smoking is Saturday. That way you have two days under your belt before going back to work and the cravings won’t be so bad. You are going to have to change up your routine as well, at home and at work. The time you spent smoking is going to need to be replaced with something that doesn’t remind you of smoking.
Have a friend hold you accountable and have a support network in place for when you quit so you can lean on them when you are going through major cravings.